Re: How to use sudo not root

On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:45:52 +0200, Felix C. Stegerman wrote:
>* Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> [2006-06-17 01:24]:
>> On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 21:50:39 +0200, Felix C. Stegerman wrote:
>> [..]

>> >What about group `wheel' ?
>>
>> Historically in UNIX the group wheel has GID 0, in Debian that's the
>> root group.
>
>Do you know where the name `wheel' comes from?

No I don't. I couldn't find anything on Google either (10 minute search
only). One interesting peculiarity I wasn't aware of is that on BSDs,
which have the wheel group, `su root` is only allowed for members of the
wheel group.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty.
     -- Thomas Jefferson