Re: How to use sudo not root

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:41:11 +0800, Richard wrote:
>On 15/06/06, Joseph Smidt <jsmidt@byu.edu> wrote:
>>When I installed Debian I selected to not allow root login thinking that
>>would enable sudo and disable root.  But when I logged into gnome it
>>kept asking for the root password to do admin things, so I set a root
>>password and it works.
>>   However, I would like to disable root and have it so my sudo password
>>works for all the gnome admin things, like opening synaptic.  How do I
>>do that?  Thanks.
>>                        Joseph Smidt
>
>I think you should login as root and run the commands:
>
>usermod -G $USER $GROUPS,adm

A shorter option (sorry couldn't help myself):
# usermod -a adm $USER

>visudo
>
># Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
>%adm ALL=(ALL) ALL

Rather then using the group that exists to allow users to read log
files[1] it might be better to use the root group or create a special
group for this purpose.

>And then delete the password from root from your /etc/passwd and
>/etc/shadow files
>=second field

I'd suggest using the -l argument to passwd instead of editing
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow manually. If you still want to do it
manually you should probably use vipw to do it.

/M

[1]: http://www.us.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s9.2.3

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little
Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety
     -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759