Re: CUPS 1.2: /dev uris will not work (by design)

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 03:11:39PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> Myself, I've not allowed it to install and don't plan to until I have time
> to (a) test it, and (b) easily back it out when it breaks.  Debian's CUPS
> is always brittle at best and fundamentally b0rken at worst.

Replying to my own message:

Now that I've actually allowed it to install...

As usual, Debian's CUPS is broken by default.

Had to delete all the printers and re-add them, but fortunately I was
already expecting that.  That always happens whenever the backends change.

*Whyinhell* the maintainer would ask a question regarding browsing, but not
actually *DO* anything to make it work, is beyond me.

Note to maintainer: telling CUPS to advertise printers but setting up
cupsd.conf to only allow connections from localhost doesn't exactly work
too well.  Certainly neither my several OS X machines nor my Windows XP
machine think much of that.

Why do you claim to migrate settings, when you don't even attempt it?

If you're not going to set it up correctly for remote printing, then don't
ask.

We won't even talk about why the web interface offers to let you edit
cupsd.conf (to fix things, no doubt), but the package seems to set the
permissions on that file to make it impossible.

--
 Marc Wilson |     "World conquerors sometimes become fools, but fools
 msw@cox.net |     never become world conquerors."  -- "The Outer