Re: CUPS 1.2: /dev uris will not work (by design)

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 12:32:49AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > E [09/Jun/2006:13:14:16 -0400] [Job 112] Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": Success
>
> Re-add the printer to CUPS using a supported URI (which will use the
> printer's serial number or something like that).

How do I do this?  Sorry, but the options presented all seem to be net
options, which is not for me.

I tried to add the HP (parallel) after adding FileDevice Yes to the
cupsd.conf file.  Didn't work.  Turned on the Epson (usb), and now
"discovered printers" includes both it and misnamed printers on the
parallel port. Adding either/both printers fails to give a working
system.  Some jobs simply hang (test pages), others say completed (to
where??  /dev/null ??), and yet another stated "unsupported format:
text/plain"!!

Go figure.  I need a functioning system.  Gimp (which I use) seems to
revolve around CUPS.  I have my other computers networked so they can
use these printers.  Otherwise I'd go to some other printing system.

Hell, I remember feeling grand when I configured my printer the first
time, nearly 10 years ago.  If the blackbox stuff doesn't work
properly, what recourse is there these days?

Kenward