CUPS 1.2: /dev uris will not work (by design)

> E [09/Jun/2006:13:14:16 -0400] [Job 112] Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": Success

Re-add the printer to CUPS using a supported URI (which will use the
printer's serial number or something like that).

This is true for all USB, and probably all parport URIs.  I have no idea
what it means for people with parallel-port printers that have no ieee
1284.4 support...

Direct flames about not warning people about this, not giving out proper
error messages, and no proper upgrade path to CUPS upstream (and an
important bug to Debian requesting that NEWS.Debian warn people about the
issue, I suppose).

> I'm a developer myself, and I can't imagine writing messages that useless.

CUPS is anything but well designed in that area.

  Henrique Holschuh