Re: ext3 or xfs for desktop laptop

I'm again posting out of context, due to many god posts.

I think I'm going to stick with the "standard" ext3. XFS, though I'm sure an excellent fs, seems to be not as crash-resilient as ext3. As to the suggested lvm and CryptoFS, I don't think I need them. It seems that it may be the way of the future, but for FS,
I do want stability.

Concerning the partitioner, I prefer gui to non, though I am comfortable with command-line. So, I guess qt / g parted is the way to go.

Finally, the swap. I'm not too sure what these swap-files are, but it seems to me that a swap partiton is quite acceptable as a just-in-case. I'm simply unsure as to how large I should make it.

As an aside, Mr. Johnson noted that hyperthreading can slow my computer down. In relation to the research that I did when I was wondering which kernel to use (a long time ago), I found out that hyper threading simply tells the processor to use it's free time to execute more activities. I failed to see (and still do) how this can slow my computer down. And what are examples of threaded programmes? I could not find a list.

I thank you kindly, O List.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.