Re: APT Issues & Still Updating ETCH After Changing Sources.List To Unstable

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 05:48:54PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 07:01:47 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
  <snip>
> >                                                Also
> > simulated an apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade also
> > with aptitude and couldn't see anything about GPG or
> > DiffIndex. Aptitude wants to remove as unused some 687
> > packages that are critical to me such as all of kde,
> > java, all of apt, all of mozilla, etc, etc. Although
> > Debian recommends aptitude as handling dependencies
> > better than apt-get, I find it problematic and that it
> > creates more issues than it solves unless there is
> > some underlying secret in using it that I'm not aware
> > of.
  <snip>
> 3. Use aptitude interactively to check the "Obsolete and Locally Created
>    Packages" section. Most packages in there should probably be removed
>    for the upgrade, including the Etch versions of the multimedia
>    packages.
>
> 4. aptitude dist-upgrade (This should now work without removing all
>    those important packages.)

I think the OP problem wasn't conflicts arising from testing versions of
packages, but likely that aptitude wasn't used to set up the base
system, but rather apt-get or a different package tool, and therefore
(as on my system) aptitude thinks that all packages not
required/standard were installed by some other package which no longer
in installed and therefore they should be removed.  While it would be
possible to mark all the metapackage etc. as manually installed, that is
a lot more work than using apt-get/already learned tool--may or may not
be worth it, but it is more work.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
QOTD:	"The baby was so ugly they had to hang a pork chop around its