Re: Debian stable & SATA drive

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 19:01 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 06:51:57PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
>
> snip...
>

> > This doesn't really answer my question; maybe you misunderstood (didn't
> > understand my babbling).  I just want to know how long it will be
> > (date/release/revision) until Debian stable will work with the SATA in
> > my system.  As you can see above, the testing-amd64-netinst image worked
> > for me.  I am guessing that, since this image is "Etch", that it will be
> > after Etch is released that "Debian stable" will work for me (because it
> > will be Etch, then).  If that is true, is there any answer to when Etch
> > will be released?  Is it "any time now", as I have seen mentioned here
> > or, like I said before, 2-3 years after the previous release (after June
> > 2007)?
> >

> A second answer. If testing-amd64-netinst gets you started, try reinstall
> but in expert mode and edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to a
> Sarge repository. It will load Sarge packages and you might have your
> Stable system, before the end of the month.

Are you saying to edit the sources.list file during or before
installation?  But then I would end up with a Sarge kernel installed
that doesn't detect the drives, wouldn't I?

I have tried installing testing and then using stable in the
sources.list file, but it doesn't seem to work well enough (aptitude has
troubles making things work).