Re: Dlink DWL510 ver C

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 00:11 +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> I have a wireless card Dlink DWG 510 PCI card.
> lspci gives:
> RaLink RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g
> I tried to use google to find some help to get it to work, but I did not
> find anything I can use. Most of the help I found was for other distro,
> not Debian, and I was not able to sort it out for my machine. If anyone
> has got that card to work under Debian, I would appreciate to share
> their experience
> Thanks
> Thierry

This is a wireless card.
I use DWL-G520 cards with the atheros chip and madwifi drivers.  I don't
see what chip you have.  So although I don't have direct experience with
your card, I'll try to get you started.

Without knowing which chip the G510 uses, I'd try to use ndiswrapper.
I'll try to describe what this involves.  Once you get the right
packages installed you can use man to get more information.  Or maybe a
kind expert will fix my errors.
First get your card's driver.

Here' a link to it's drivers.  There are several drivers, so chose
carefully.
  http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=308#drivers

You can use the appropriate driver with ndiswrapper to get the card
recognized by the kernel.  ndiswrapper will wrap the windows driver so
that the kernel can see the card through a linux module.
The card will eventually show up as wlan0, I think, with a corresponding
module that will have to be loaded just like the other interfaces.

To get ndiswrapper for your architecture do
apt-get update
apt-cache search ndis
apt-get install "module for your architecture"

You probably need ndiswrapper-utils
apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils

You will probably also need wireless-tools
apt-get install wireless-tools.

To see how all this works in debian do
man interfaces
man wireless