OT: DVD Writers

Am I having bad luck, or is this typical?

I purchased an LG 4157 DVD-Writer.  It burned ok, but could not read any CDs
or DVDs.  I excanged it and had the same result.

I now have the following Samsung Writer installed:

hdc: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S162A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)

it reads CDs ok, burns DVDs, but can't read it's own DVDs (Media Sony DVD-R)!
I can read the DVDs it wrote on my laptop..... Sigh.

I know this is off-topic, but I am using a Debian box ;-) but can anyone
recommend a decent DVD writer?

Thanks,

Chris

--