Re: OT: DVD Writers

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 18:35:38 +0200
Chris <list.hurschler@gmx.de> wrote:

> I know this is off-topic, but I am using a Debian box ;-) but can anyone
> recommend a decent DVD writer?

Dunno why you'd think it offtopic, but lots of Debian users use DVD
drives. :)

That said, I have an NEC dual-layer (IDE) - model ND-3520AW. I
purchased it from a local (sunnyvale CA) outfit called Surplus
Computers for $50. I've had it working well for about a year now.

It's a nice drive, although I did have to flash its BIOS - that made it
able to recognize a much larger variety of media, as well as burn them
up to 16x speed.

I do have trouble from time to time on _some_ RW media - burning works
fine, but trhying to read the same disk a few weeks or months later
sometimes results ni lots of bad sectors. This could easily be a
storage/media issue (given my environment) than a hardware issue with
the burner.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.