Re: Debina Installation ISO DVD Image Files

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 11:37:48AM +0300, Robert J. A. Fernandes. wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> I have downloaded DVD ISO Images files from this below location: -
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r2/i386/iso-dvd/
>
> in this section the file size its shows 4.4G for
> debian-31r2-i386-binary-1, but when I am downloading it give me 372MB
> and for the another file debian-31r2-i386-binary-2 it shows 4.1G but
> when I downloads it gives me 127MB.
>
> So is this file ok or has to be correct 4 GB? I have doubt just because
> of this sizes.

You are correct in your doubts--it seems that the files did not download
completely.  Are you using a FAT partition (DOS or earlier Windows)?  I
don't think they can handle files that size.  Or maybe it's the program
you used to download the images.  At any rate--these .iso's are broken
and won't work right (at all, likely).

> And is it according to above MB's then even I can burn on
> normal 700MB CD's right? So what's the meaning of DVD ISO Files? I
> didn't get?

You are also correct in that.  To use a DVD image, you need blank DVD
and a DVD burner (I don't think + or - matters).  If you just have
regular CD's try the CD images.  If you have a fast net connection, I
would grab the one labelled 'netinst' and do a network install.  Or the
'businesscard' one if you have a spiffy mini-CD ;)

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
It's NO USE ... I've gone to "CLUB MED"!!