Re: X-Windows Problems - Puzzled

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:20:08 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:34:45PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

[...]

> > I now have all the lines in sources.list commented out except those for
> > testing.  I ran "apt-get install -f" followed by "apt-get update" then
> > "apt-get dist-upgrade" and, finally, "apt-get install -f" again with no
> > problems.  The final "apt-get install -f" exited with "0 upgraded, 0
> > newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded"
> >
> > Rebooted.  A line with a red + went by with a message something to the
> > effect: 'files not mounted with error code 96' but the system started at
> > console tty1, no X-window.  Logged on as root, went to /usr/sbin and ran
> > gdm.  X-window gnome logon screen came up and I logged on as tom,
> > started Mozilla and read mail.  Still cannot use Wacom mouse, lsmod
> > shows wacom module loaded, not used.
> >
> > Regards,
> > 	Tom
> >
> Every now and then Mozilla locks up - i.e. mouse pointer moves on
> screen, clicks still do nothing.  To escape I go to ~/.mozilla/default,
> get the pid that lock points to and kill it.
>
> It occurred to me to try to start xdm rather than gdm.  This didn't work
> and strace /etc/init.d/xdm start indicated the failure was because there
> is no xdm in /usr/bin/X11.  whereis xdm found it in /usr/bin but I could
> not start it from there as I have been starting gdm from /usr/sbin.

That all sounds like there are some configuration problems in your
system. Maybe you still have old configuration files which were not
upgraded properly. You could try to purge gdm and xdm and then reinstall
them:

apt-get --purge remove xdm gdm
apt-get install xdm gdm

(The "--purge" option makes sure that all configuration files are
removed, therefore you will get the up-to-date ones from the new
packages when you install xdm and gdm again.)

--
Regards,
          Florian