Re: X-Windows Problems

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 03:09:39PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 14:04:57 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> [...]
>
> > > Testing is using Xorg instead of Xfree86. Once you have downloaded the
> > > archive keys and completed the upgrade, you can try "dpkg-reconfigure
> > > xserver-xorg". (This should happen automatically during the upgrade
> > > anyway.)
> > >
> > > If you still have problems with Xorg after that, post the output of the
> > > following three commands:
> > >
> > > lspci | grep -i vga
> > > awk '/Section "(Device|Monitor|Screen)"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > > egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> [...]
>
> > Thank you for you assistance, Florian.  I am attaching the output of
> > apt-key list and sources.list.
> >

> > /etc/apt/trusted.gpg
> > --------------------
> > pub   1024R/1DB114E0 2004-01-15 [expired: 2005-01-27]
> > uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (2004) <ftpmaster@debian.org>
> >
> > pub   1024D/4F368D5D 2005-01-31 [expired: 2006-01-31]
> > uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (2005) <ftpmaster@debian.org>
> >
> > pub   1024D/B5F5BBED 2005-04-24
> > uid                  Debian AMD64 Archive Key <debian-amd64@lists.debian.org>
> > sub   2048g/34FC6FE5 2005-04-24
> >
> > pub   1024D/2D230C5F 2006-01-03 [expires: 2007-02-07]
> > uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (2006) <ftpmaster@debian.org>
>
> [...]
>
> > deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main
> >
> > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> > deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free
>
> That looks OK to me; the only thing that I notice is that you are
> missing Christian Marillat's signing key. I would propose to ignore this
> for now and to just comment out the ftp.nerim.net line. (I also think
> you have to change "sarge" to "etch" or "testing" now.) When the problem
> with X/gdm is settled you can always get the key as described here
> and install what you want from Marillat's packages.
>
> [...]
>
> I think your problem is the result of an incomplete transition from
> XFree86 to Xorg. With the ftp.nerim.net line commented out, try "apt-get
> update" again. If apt is still missing some amd64-specific keys (I don't
> know too much about those) then it should at least give you the numbers
> of those keys. Post these numbers here and we can tell you were to find
> the corresponding keys.
>
> With all keys provided you should be able to do "apt-get install -f" to
> fix all unresolved issues. Once that works without errors and an
> "apt-get dist-upgrade" tells you that there are no more packages to
> upgrade, you should have a working Xorg. If that does not work we have
> to take a closer look, but first apt-get has to bring your system into a
> consistent state by completing the upgrade.

> [...]
I now have all the lines in sources.list commented out except those for
testing.  I ran "apt-get install -f" followed by "apt-get update" then
"apt-get dist-upgrade" and, finally, "apt-get install -f" again with no
problems.  The final "apt-get install -f" exited with "0 upgraded, 0
newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded"

Rebooted.  A line with a red + went by with a message something to the
effect: 'files not mounted with error code 96' but the system started at
console tty1, no X-window.  Logged on as root, went to /usr/sbin and ran
gdm.  X-window gnome logon screen came up and I logged on as tom,
started Mozilla and read mail.  Still cannot use Wacom mouse, lsmod
shows wacom module loaded, not used.

Regards,
	Tom