Building case for Debian in server room at a University

Howdy,

My workplace is a small University currently working
with FreeBSD and Solaris for their *nix OS standards.

I'm recently become the sysadmin.  My boss agrees
that FreeBSD isn't serving us as well as it did.
To me, the big kicker is the dropping of our backup
client for networker from FreeBSD ports.

We are evaluating Redhat, Suse and Debian.  I've
been working with Linux for several years, and my
preference comes down strongly on Debian fitting
in where BSD currently provides our core Internet services.
I have no problem supporting Debian and another
Linux distro where commercial software requires
Redhat or whatever.  However we are trying hard for
just one distro to suit all needs.

I've told others involved in the decision making that
as there is no money changing hands, and no
press releases, Debian is a quiet success and point
them to the Netcraft stats showing Debian as the #2
web server platform in their automated scan polls.

It would be helpful if I could learn of other academic
institutions using Debian in core Internet service roles, such
as email and spam filtering, DNS, DHCP, web, etc.
I know Debian is a common desktop choice
or research platform for many as well, but this group
is looking for more information on experiences
with Debian in the server room.

If you have the time, I'd also appreciate any comments
you can share on pros and cons of Debian.  I think
I'm aware of the basic features from my experience
running Debian, but I'm thinking of things that
might not come up until in a real life production
system with load factors, fires to put out,
maintenance windows, and hardware support of
stuff like iSCSI SANs.

You can send these to me off list if you like.

Thanks,

--Donald Teed