Re: Building case for Debian in server room at a University

On 2006-05-24 @ 22:15:00 (week 21) Donald Teed wrote:

> If you have the time, I'd also appreciate any comments
> you can share on pros and cons of Debian.  I think
> I'm aware of the basic features from my experience
> running Debian, but I'm thinking of things that
> might not come up until in a real life production
> system with load factors, fires to put out,
> maintenance windows, and hardware support of
> stuff like iSCSI SANs.

There's a page over at the debian.org site which sums it up (not all of
if though):

http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

I had some time (waiting for my system to finish compiling 2.6.17) so I
did a bit of Googling around. Here are some potentially useful pages:

http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Advantages_Debian.html
http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/doc/advantages.html
http://www.linuxforce.net/debian.html
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/debian/server.html

A thread from the archives that is somewhat older but maybe still useful
(I am sure a bit of digging in the archives will turn up more useful
information to build your case):

And if the opinion of a commercial party matters to your decision
makers:

http://www.dotnoc.com/debian-linux.php

If you're coming from Sun boxes and you're used to jumpstart then you'll
like FAI, which works especially well with Debian GNU/Linux.

Grx HdV

P.S. If you end up writing a text yourself, then it would be nice if
you'd post it, so others in your situation could use it too.