Re: Building case for Debian in server room at a University

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:15:00PM -0300, Donald Teed wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> We are evaluating Redhat, Suse and Debian.  I've
> been working with Linux for several years, and my
> preference comes down strongly on Debian fitting
> in where BSD currently provides our core Internet services.
> I have no problem supporting Debian and another
> Linux distro where commercial software requires
> Redhat or whatever.  However we are trying hard for
> just one distro to suit all needs.

Experience with Red Hat Enterprise: very limited in choice and number of
applications. You may have to hunt round the 'Net for things like
development libraries / "odd stuff" that isn't part of the core RH EL.
You NEED 'Net access for updates.

SuSE / Novell: generally good at installation: need 'Net for updates.
Can be limiting if you don't want to do things the SuSE way :)
Only a couple of mirrors guaranteed for security and other updates.

Debian - Sarge is a little too old for some new hardware. Other than
that it "just works". No need for 'Net access if you have slightly
more modern media - just

apt-cdrom add ; apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade

> If you have the time, I'd also appreciate any comments
> you can share on pros and cons of Debian.  I think
> I'm aware of the basic features from my experience
> running Debian, but I'm thinking of things that
> might not come up until in a real life production
> system with load factors, fires to put out,
> maintenance windows, and hardware support of
> stuff like iSCSI SANs.

RPM database is binary so if your installed packages list gets
eaten you're in trouble :(

dpkg --get-selections > file

file < dpkg --set-selections

is a lifesaver to install the same set of apps on two machines.

.debs can be installed using basic tools: cpio and ar and installed
by unpacking the resultant .tar.gz - I rebuilt a hosed system that way
:)

Cons: think long and hard before moving stable -> testing -> unstable
because downgrading / moving back is (a) hard and (b)
definitely not guaranteed :) [A similar effect can be had by just
stopping upgrading for a few months: gradually change sources list
from unstable to testing and then eventually to stable as packages
progress in the other direction.]

> You can send these to me off list if you like.

Andy