Re: deborphan defaults?

Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Can I reasonably assume that it is safe to uninstall these packages?
I normally believe in deborphan's output, so I'd say it is. However, if you
want to be sure, just check the rdepends. Most probably you'll see some
package you installed sometime, but then later removed it. I'd consider
removing those libs safe.
As a sidenote, I'd recommend using aptitude instead of apt-get for this
reason: aptitude, when told to install a package, will pull the
dependencies, but will mark them as automatically installed. This way, if
you later decide to remove that package, or the package dependencies have
changed, they will be automatically removed. Aptitude is much more picky on
the dependencies, apt-get tends to assume you know what you are doing
(which I've found is not usually the case, given the amount of packages and
their interdependencies).
--

Felipe Sateler