Re: fdisk, parted, problems and questions.

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 03:05:09PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 22 May 2006 21:24, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 07:08:43PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> > > Actually, fixing the order in fdisk will exchange what is now /dev/hdc1
> > > (linux) and /dev/hdc2 (extended). Everything else remains in place.
> >
> > Not sure how you reach that conclusion. Your current /dev/hdc1 starts
> > at cylinder 65520, so it actually the 7th partition on the disk.
> >
> No conclusion. Ran fdisk, went to advanced menu and chose "fix partition
> table order". The "print" of this shows what I described. The reason would
> be:
> hdc1 is now an EXTENDED partion.
> hdc2 linux ext3 is a primary partion
> hdc3 swap is also.
> All the logical partitions (within hdc1) follow.

Ah, ok. I thought by 'fixing the order' you meant fixing the partition
table so that partitions are listed in the order they appear on the
disk.

If that is all you need to do to keep fdisk happy, then it is
certainly easier.

As I said, some software does not like having the extended partition
as anything other that the last primary partition - but I think it
is Microsoft s/w that is most fussy. I think it was NT or 2000 where
I came across that limitation.

It is probably not correct to talk about 'fixing', as I have never
seen any specification for FDISK partitions that prohibit the layout
you have now. It is just a case of confirming to limitations resulting
from years of assumptions by various operating systems implementations
and tools that have led to defacto rules for partitioning orders.

If this order is accepted by Debian and your favorite partitioners, then
by all means go with that.

> > > IF so, how safe is this change to actually save, change lilo.conf and
> > > reboot?
> >
> > I would make sure that you have a bootable rescue floppy or CD just
> > in case you need to re-install lilo after the partition name changes
> > have taken effect. It is quite a while since I last used lilo, so I
> > don't recall how much is needed.
>
> Knoppix is around just for such things.

That should do just fine.

Regards,