Partitioning alternatives

Further to my earlier reply to the question from David Baron,
touching on the limitations of the PC fdisk partitioning scheme...

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of any work on better
designed partitioning alternatives that can be used in Wintel
boxes?

On my old BSD systems the FDISK partitions were optional, and only
required for dual booting with other operating systems.

I wouldn't suggest going with the BSD partitioning scheme, which
was also old and had its own limitations.

I havn't experimented with LVM yet, but I assume that it requires
at least one FDISK partition, and is probably a level of complexity
above what could be easily integrated into other open source OS's
that one might want to dual boot and share filesystems with.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com