Re: fdisk, parted, problems and questions.

On Monday 22 May 2006 21:24, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 07:08:43PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> > On Monday 22 May 2006 17:32, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > > The first entry in the table might be your Linux root, but the first
> > > partition on the drive is your FAT. So if you want your partition table
> > > to be in disk order, you either have to change the partition table to
> > > match what you actually have, or you have to physically move the data
> > > on the disk. For the latter, you are basically back to doing a beckup,
> > > repartition, reformat and then restore
> >
> > Actually, fixing the order in fdisk will exchange what is now /dev/hdc1
> > (linux) and /dev/hdc2 (extended). Everything else remains in place.
>
> Not sure how you reach that conclusion. Your current /dev/hdc1 starts
> at cylinder 65520, so it actually the 7th partition on the disk.

No conclusion. Ran fdisk, went to advanced menu and chose "fix partition table
order". The "print" of this shows what I described. The reason would be:
hdc1 is now an EXTENDED partion.
hdc2 linux ext3 is a primary partion
hdc3 swap is also.
All the logical partitions (within hdc1) follow.

> If you swap hdc1 and hdc2, then the logical partition names will indeed
> stay the same, but your partition table is still out of sequence, and
> I know I have come across software that does not allow the extended
> partition to be anything other than the last allocated primary partition.
>
> > Could I assume that lilo could just as happily boot to /dev/hdc2 as it
> > does now to /dev/hdc1 ?
>
> I believe that both lilo and grub are capable of booting from any primary
> or logical partition. But you main need you may need to be able to boot
> from a rescue disk to re-install your boot blocks.
>
> > IF so, how safe is this change to actually save, change lilo.conf and
> > reboot?
>
> I would make sure that you have a bootable rescue floppy or CD just
> in case you need to re-install lilo after the partition name changes
> have taken effect. It is quite a while since I last used lilo, so I
> don't recall how much is needed.

Knoppix is around just for such things.