Re: fdisk, parted, problems and questions.

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 07:08:43PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 22 May 2006 17:32, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > The first entry in the table might be your Linux root, but the first
> > partition on the drive is your FAT. So if you want your partition table
> > to be in disk order, you either have to change the partition table to
> > match what you actually have, or you have to physically move the data
> > on the disk. For the latter, you are basically back to doing a beckup,
> > repartition, reformat and then restore
>
> Actually, fixing the order in fdisk will exchange what is now /dev/hdc1
> (linux) and /dev/hdc2 (extended). Everything else remains in place.

Not sure how you reach that conclusion. Your current /dev/hdc1 starts
at cylinder 65520, so it actually the 7th partition on the disk.

If you swap hdc1 and hdc2, then the logical partition names will indeed
stay the same, but your partition table is still out of sequence, and
I know I have come across software that does not allow the extended
partition to be anything other than the last allocated primary partition.

> Could I assume that lilo could just as happily boot to /dev/hdc2 as it
> does now to /dev/hdc1 ?

I believe that both lilo and grub are capable of booting from any primary
or logical partition. But you main need you may need to be able to boot
from a rescue disk to re-install your boot blocks.

> IF so, how safe is this change to actually save, change lilo.conf and reboot?

I would make sure that you have a bootable rescue floppy or CD just
in case you need to re-install lilo after the partition name changes
have taken effect. It is quite a while since I last used lilo, so I
don't recall how much is needed.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com