Re: Newbie trying to install Debian...

Martin J. Hillyer wrote:
On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 10:35:26PM -0400, Dov Oxenberg wrote:

  Hello,

  Please pardon me if I appear amateurish but I am new to Linux (long time
  Windows user) and am trying to get Debian installed and running.

  Today I tried using the suggested netinst method but for some reason it is
  not working for me.  I downloaded the ISO file, and extracted the file
  with WinImage then burned the extracted files to a CD.  When I boot with
  the CD in the drive nothing happens and the system just boots to
  Windows.  I even tried burning the ISO file itself to CD and booting with
  that but still no joy.  What am I missing here?
  I did notice after extracting the files contained in the ISO image the
  .bin files are in subdirectories...do I need to move these to the root of
  the CD I wish to boot from?

  I also am attempting to use the .jigdo method....but don't completely
understand what I need to do once I have all six files.
  Thanks for any help and guidance.

  Cheers!

You've had several suggestions re burning the ISO image; let me add
one other thing that you have probably done, but just in case...  In
order to boot from even a correctly burned image, you have to tweak
your BIOS settings to boot from the CD first.  This is done from the
BIOS setup screens; you access these by hitting [Del] or some other
key during bootup.  Sorry for the simple-minded suggestion if you've
already done this, but in the spirit of "is the appliance switched
on?"...

Good point!!!
Thierry