Re: Newbie trying to install Debian...

Martin J. Hillyer wrote:
On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 10:35:26PM -0400, Dov Oxenberg wrote:
   Hello,

   Please pardon me if I appear amateurish but I am new to Linux (long time
   Windows user) and am trying to get Debian installed and running.

   Today I tried using the suggested netinst method but for some reason it is
   not working for me.  I downloaded the ISO file, and extracted the file
   with WinImage then burned the extracted files to a CD.  When I boot with
   the CD in the drive nothing happens and the system just boots to
   Windows.  I even tried burning the ISO file itself to CD and booting with
   that but still no joy.  What am I missing here?
   I did notice after extracting the files contained in the ISO image the
   .bin files are in subdirectories...do I need to move these to the root of
   the CD I wish to boot from?

   I also am attempting to use the .jigdo method....but don't completely
understand what I need to do once I have all six files.
   Thanks for any help and guidance.

   Cheers!

You've had several suggestions re burning the ISO image; let me add
one other thing that you have probably done, but just in case...  In
order to boot from even a correctly burned image, you have to tweak
your BIOS settings to boot from the CD first.  This is done from the
BIOS setup screens; you access these by hitting [Del] or some other
key during bootup.  Sorry for the simple-minded suggestion if you've
already done this, but in the spirit of "is the appliance switched
on?"...

Hi
How did you downloaded the iso image?
What program did you use?
The one that I have used is on winXP is freedownload just google for it, its free.

Just wondering

Johnny