Re: OT: Ha-Ha! [Was:Politics [Was:Social Contract]]

On Sun, 2006-30-04 at 11:21 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Hodgins Family wrote:

> >>When I sent that message, Thunderbird's spell-checker flagged
> >>"Debianistas" as "Lesbianism's".
> >>
> >>Huh?!!
> >>
> >>;-)
> >
> > Which begs a question!
> >

> <mode=pedantic>
> First, when you say "begs a question" you really mean "raises a
> question."  There is a major difference between the two:
>
> http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-beg1.htm
> http://begthequestion.info/
> </mode>
>
> > Why do people in Debianista spell....Oh never mind! ;)
> >
> > Rob
> >

> -Roberto

I copied this passage from the second link:

"While descriptivists and other such laissez-faire linguists are content
to allow the misconception to fall into the vernacular, it cannot be
denied that logic and philosophy stand to lose an important conceptual
label should the meaning of BTQ become diluted to the point that we must
constantly distinguish between the traditional usage and the erroneous
"modern" usage. This is why we fight."

And I suppose that this is "something up with we shall not put!" :) :)