Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2006-04-29, Roberto C. Sanchez penned:
>
>>Mumia W wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, they are. I was educated in a public school.
>>>

>>As was I.  That is exactly the reason why none of my children will
>>*ever* go to a public school.  I like to think that I am succeeding
>>in life *in spite* of the fact that I went to public school.
>

> Please note that just because *your* public school experience was
> subpar doesn't mean everyone's was.

Umm, who said my experience was subpar?  I went to the top school in my
county.  I had some of the best teachers in the state.  My teachers took
a personal interest in me.  My parents were involved in my education
(far more than most other parents).  That does not change the fact that
the system as a whole is broken.

> A lot of "teenage troublemakers" went to the local Catholic school
> (whether or not they were Catholic) in my neighborhood.  All such kids
> that I met learned much worse behavior by going to school there
> (something like sending a first-time teen minor offender to jail, I
> suppose).

I'm not sure what your point is here.

>>>No they are not. A few, knowledgeable individuals *might* be better
>>>off, or they might screw up and choose the wrong investments and
>>>lose most of it.
>>>

>>So, you believe that people are fundamentally stupid and need the
>>government to babysit them?
>

> To me, this is a qualified "maybe."  Perhaps not stupid, but willfully
> ignorant and willing to be led by emotion.  Maybe it would be better if
> everyone were taught basic logic as well as how to identify basic
> techniques of rhetoric (ethos, pathos, logos).

True.

> Then again, at some point, you have to wonder what the parent could
> have done differently.  Will a brilliant school matter if the parent
> doesn't emphasize the wonder of learning from day one?  Would it have
> been possible for the parent to choose a better school for their kids
> to attend?  Perhaps the parent could have paid more attention to the
> curriculum and supplemented it where it was lacking, or paid attention
> to the PTO and encouraged change from within.
>
> I learned a lot at school, but I was taught the love of learning at
> home.  I still have fond memories of my dad taking me to the library
> to choose my own books, well before first grade.

I too learned a lot.  I too learned a love of learning.  In my case,
neither of my parents went to college and they had to work hard.  They
didn't want to see me grow up to be in the same situation, so they
emphasized the importance of education.

>>>And your retirement money shouldn't be entirely dependent upon the
>>>twists and turns of the business cycle.
>>>

>>If you are smart they won't.  Even if you are not smart, if you have
>>the wherewithal to hire someone who is, they won't.
>

> I do have some problems with the meritocracy concept*.  Why should I
> be rewarded for smarts, when I didn't really do anything to deserve
> them?  Why should some other guy do poorly in life because he didn't
> luck out in the brain dept?
>
> * Not enough to give back the fun toys I've accumulated

"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he
maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on
the just and on the unjust." -- Matthew 5:45

If you are not good at something, you go and find someone who is and
convince them (for pay or something else) to do it for you.  This is a
basic life skill.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez