Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> There are people who believe that amending the Constitution to prevent
> gay marriage is somehow a worthwhile cause.  People believe all sorts
> of crazy stuff.

    Exactly.  And the crazy stuff here is that public education is somehow up
to snuff and worth continuing.

> Not sure what you're agreeing with.  I support national parks, and I
> vote to spend money on local parks.  And I'm not sure wtf anyone is
> doing in the Front Range of Colorado if they don't like nature, but
> hey, I'm sure they exist, and maybe it bugs them that the rest of us
> keep voting to protect our land.

    Same here as in I said that public schooling was a bad idea and that I
felt the "same here".

> I honestly don't believe this.  It might be different if good
> financial practices were required in the high school curriculum, but
> they're not.  (That's an idea I've read about in a couple of financial
> books now, and it makes a lot of sense.)  Very few people are all that
> good at investing.  Particularly, because there's a lack of
> understanding of the market, people panic when they lose money, pull
> their money out, and then never get the benefit of the upswing.

    But that's just it, they don't have to because Social Security is that
bad.  It's not like they have to make out like a railroad bandit to beat
Social Security.  All they have to do is the most basic savings to beat it.
Seriously!

> Everything I've read suggests that financial experts, people who have
> a financial education and study the market as their job, are lucky to
> pick a winning stock 50% of the time.  What makes you think that
> someone with a full time job, child rearing responsibilities, etc is
> going to even do that well?  (And yes, you can invest in funds
> instead, but that still requires a fair amount of attention to earn
> enough interest to stay ahead of inflation.)

    Who said stocks?  I said invest as they saw fit.  And you're right, it
takes a fair amount of attention to earn enough interest to stay ahead of
inflation.  Now, for the $20,000 that you and others never ask.  Is Social
Security staying ahead of inflation?