bootsplash on Etch

Has anyone gotten the kernel-patch-bootsplash to work in etch?

I have installe the package and built my kernel with:
  make-dpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd --append-to-version -dtsplash\
      \--revision 1 --added-patches bootsplash kernel-image
  dpkg -i ../linux-image-2.6.15-dtsplash_1_i386.deb

which seemed to go through without errors:
 digbyt@fujitsu:~/kernels/linux-source-2.6.15-splash$ cat applied_patches
 /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/apply/bootsplash
 digbyt@fujitsu:~/kernels/linux-source-2.6.15-splash$ grep SPLASH .config
 CONFIG_BOOTSPLASH=y

But when I reboot using the new kernel, I see nothing different....

I am also curious about the fact that I have no /dev/fb* devices on my
Debian 4.6 kernel. The devices exist in my old SuSE 2.4 kernel system,
and the description in
	Documentation/fb/framebuffer.txt
in my Debian Etch kernel source tree certainly implies that this should
still be the name...

As far as I can see I have it configured:
 digbyt@fujitsu:~/kernels/linux-source-2.6.15-splash$ grep FRAME .config
 CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y

Is the documentation out of date? Has the convention changed? Or does
this mean it isn't working for some reason - which might explain the
lack of spectacular splashing...

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com