Re: Gnome/KDE resources

Rob Benton <rob.benton@conwaycorp.net> writes:
> The thing about KDE that I've never been a big fan of is their DCOP
> system.  It takes time to get those processes started.  That's not such
> a big deal if you use KDE as your environment because that's loaded once
> on startup.  But if you use Gnome and want to run a KDE application you
> have to wait for DCOP which annoys me.

Hmmm.....

Does this apply only to KDE project apps, or to libqt apps in general?

I only regularly run one libqt app, skype, but it seems to take untold
ages to start up (like a full minute); it doesn't consume CPU or do lots
of disk/net I/O while it's starting, it just takes a long time.

Well I have no idea really, but I've been wondering why it's so damn slow...

Thanks,

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]