Re: Gnome/KDE resources

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 15:43 -0700, Bill Thompson wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:01:39 -0700
Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com> wrote:

[snip]

I just switched to KDE from Gnome on Sid. In my subjective opinion,
Gnome 2.14 runs much faster and with less resources than KDE 5.4.

However, KDE appears to have more usage and configuration options which
may make the resource use worthwhile to you.

And yes, GNOME Terminal is an outrageous pig.  So I use rxvt.  Nice
and small and does what's needed.

I definitely agree with that. Just my personal opinion is that I like Gtk better than Qt if only for visual appearance. It's also easier to theme which is why there are many more Gtk themes. I like Epiphany much better than Konqueror for web browsing but for file management I prefer Konqueror over Nautilus.

The thing about KDE that I've never been a big fan of is their DCOP system. It takes time to get those processes started. That's not such a big deal if you use KDE as your environment because that's loaded once on startup. But if you use Gnome and want to run a KDE application you have to wait for DCOP which annoys me.