Re: Gnome/KDE resources

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:01:39 -0700
Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com> wrote:

> I remember sometime at the end of last year reading that KDE uses
> less resources than Gnome. After reading that I had to install linux
> on an older machine for someone, so I put KDE on it. It worked OK.
>
> Now I get the latest Linux Journal and they say in there than Gnome
> uses less resources.
> I tried to remember what it was that I had read about KDE and began
> to think, well maybe it wasn't that KDE used less resources overall
> but that it used less ROM or something. Doesn't matter. My question
> then is, given an older machine that KDE or Gnome can run on, which
> should I install to get better performance?

I just switched to KDE from Gnome on Sid. In my subjective opinion,
Gnome 2.14 runs much faster and with less resources than KDE 5.4.

However, KDE appears to have more usage and configuration options which
may make the resource use worthwhile to you.

I have also been playing with running openbox with Gnome and KDE
components (for example, openbox using gnome-panel with kdesktop) which
uses less resources than any of them, but still has that "Desktop
Environment" convenience.

I can't say which is best. I've decided that all window managers suck
and the trick is to find the one that sucks less for you.

--
Bill Thompson
BillT@Mahagonny.com