mysql character set problem

Hello!

I use debian sarge with mysql 4.1.

The problem is the following:

I set the deafault character set, and collation in my.cnf, and I check it:

mysql> show variables like '%server';
+----------------------+---------------------+
| Variable_name        | Value               |
+----------------------+---------------------+
| character_set_server | latin2              |
| collation_server     | latin2_hungarian_ci |
+----------------------+---------------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

I create a database, and a table:

mysql> create database testdb;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> use testdb;
Database changed
mysql> create table test (test1 varchar (5), test2 varchar (5));
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.04 sec)

I insert values to the table

mysql> insert into test values ('lőző', 'űuűá');
Query OK, 1 row affected, 2 warnings (0.00 sec) # I see that I have warnings, but the log files ary empty. Maybe there is problems with the loglevel, but I didn't find the directive to set it.

And I get the following:

mysql> select * from test;
+-------+-------+
| test1 | test2 |
+-------+-------+
| l?z?  | ?u?á  |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

My Debian environment variables looks like this:

LANG="hu_HU"
LANGUAGE="hu_HU:hu:en_GB:en"

I think this is the latin2 charset.

please help me I fighting with this for 2 weeks!

Thanks a lot,

Michalik Tamás