Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

On Sunday 23 April 2006 20:03, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>Am 2006-04-19 10:50:06, schrieb Paul Johnson:
>> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 09:33, Mike McCarty wrote:
>> > Pardon, but in this context the appropriate form is to expand
>> > the umlaut. It is inappropriate to put characters like that
>> > into a text-only message.
>>
>> There isn't anything non-ISO about "ä", including it in a message
>> doesn't make it "not text only".  The "ae" is a poorman form of "æ".
>
>You forget, that the american brain is limited
>to 128 characters called US-ASCII.

Yes, sad isn't it, particularly since the keyboard configs used here for
linux don't very well allow the painless typeing of such characters.

I personally think our keyboard mapping should allow, via the alt keys,
as much of the full 8 bit character set as is practical, but it seems
to be sadly lacking there.  Back when we were all using amiga's, it was
no problem at all to type that stylized B for beta, or a copyright
sign, all of which were simple alt+ keystrokes on the miggy's keyboard.
Unforch, when I try that with kmail, it seems to be treated as a hotkey
of some sort, which is totally uncouth behaviour IMNSHO.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: