Re: GSM/UMTS-Modem on serial Port [was Re: Onboard Modem]

On Tuesday, April 25, 2006 12:13 AM GMT,
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:

Am 2006-04-21 18:40:29, schrieb Hans du Plooy:

Another option is a GSM modem (assuming you're on a GSM network).  It
sits on your serial port, like an ordinary modem, but does the
conversion to cellphone language.

Because you are talking abourt it....

I have a GSM-Modem (costs around 50 Euro) which suppoert HSCSD and
GPRS and sit on the serial port it allows connections up to 56kBit.

I was searching for EDGE/UMTS ones...

..but found only overpriced PCMCIA cards for 350-600 € plus the
price for the PCMCIA/PCI adaptor.

Do you know, whether Serialport EDGE/UMTS modems exist?

I am customer from Philips Semiconductor and I have a full
specification for a PCI-GSM-Modem (GPRS, EDGE, UMTS) but not the
time and technical equipment to do it currently my own...

Price for the micro chips and the production for the cards are
around 80 Euro for a working PCI-GSM-Modem if I produce 100 pieces.

So, the PCMCIA stuff IS OVERPRICED, because I am electronic engineer
and know what I am talking about...

Oh yes, I was already thinking about an Open-Hardware-Project like
the Open-Source-Software...  We can develop Hardware which works
100% with Linux and other OS whith out head-stands.

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack

The vodafone EDGE/UMTS cardbus adapter, which is a rebranded ericsson card (don't know the exact model) sellsf for 99euros where I am, and an EDGE (UMTS? not sure which they use) account with vodafone costs 30euros per month.

A serial EDGE/UMTS modem will not give you any broadband speeds, as the serial port is limited to 115kbps, whereas vodafone claims speeds up to 1.8mbps.

I am sure if you walk into a vodafone, tmobile, or any other carrier in Germany for that matter, that you will find that they have cardbus cards that enable you to access their 3G networks at a fraction of the price you mentioned.

I havent seen any GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS 350-600 euro cardbus cards neither in stores nor online.

Regards,
IraqiGeek
www.iraqigeek.com

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.