Re: Thanks! Re: good anti-virus software to use?

On 2006-04-25, Roberto C. Sanchez penned:

> I think you are twisting Ron's point.  His original point was that
> some languages (like C/C++) make it possible to have hard to detect
> subtle faults that become security problems.  Other languages (like
> COBOL) do away with those subtle issues.  Essentially, you have to
> try and be determined to write something insecure.  I think his
> discussion focused on strings, but it probably extends to other
> things as well.

I'm not trying to twist anything.  I do agree that language features
can help prevent all sorts of bugs and security issues.

I guess I'm just responding to an argument (maybe it only exists in my
head) that "Oh, if we code in <x language>, we will never have to
worry about security again!"  The language may reduce certain types of
security issues, but you still need to pay attention.

--
monique

Help us help you: