Re: Thanks! Re: good anti-virus software to use?

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 09:42 -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2006-04-22, Ron Johnson penned:
> >
> > Unless you write with a secure language like COBOL.
>
> I'm sure it's possible to write an insecure program in COBOL.

It would be darned hard.

Strings are fixed length, the RTL chops off strings that are longer
than the variable's PICTURE clause, and space-fills strings that
are shorter than the PIC.  Also, the RTL does array bounds checking,
so you can't smash the stack that way either.  And it doesn't have
stupid \0-terminated strings.

Face it: any language without malloc() is going to be much more
secure that C/C++ & Pascal.

Pascal even is more secure than C/C++, since it does bounds checking

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Its easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as
modern America's favorite pet. People like pets to possess the
same qualities they do. Cats are irresponsible and recognize no
authority, yet are completely dependent on others for their
material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful. Cats
are mean for the fun of it."
P.J. O'Rourke, satirist