Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> wrote:

> If that is the missing quote to which you were referring, then yes, it
> was more relevent than the later reference to apt-get'ing msttcorefonts.
>
> But I didn't interpret it as meaining 'there are lots of efforts going
> on in this direction'. It sounded to me like he was saying that lack of
> manpower was more of an impediment to easier installation than lack of
> technology or licencing issues. If you are reading it differently, then
> perhaps it needs clarification.

Things have been done (msttcorefonts) and things need to be done. This
is never going to change. Sadly I am no developer, else I would try to
help.

> I don't really see the reason for the frustration you are referring to.
> Ubuntu has some differences in priorities, so it is not unreasonable that
> in any objective comparison between it and Debian, there will be advantages
> and disadvantages on both sides.

I agree. The frustration was about something else, but doesn't matter.

> I think the originator of this thread was probably just interested in what
> peaples impressions of the differences are, rather than going into the
> philosophy behind each difference and long discussions about what can be
> done to address any area where Ubuntu seems to have an advantage.

But we do want our favorite distro to become better, don't we? I have
nothing against long discussions as long as they are constructive in
some way.

> I'll grant that there may well be good reasons for the Debian installer
> not to be able to use my Wireless hardware when the Ubuntu installer
> managed it, but I think it would be a stretch to argue that that was
> not a disadvantage from the point of view of someone attempting to do
> an installation on hardware that uses it - especially someone who may
> not be experienced with Linux.

I think nobody argued that Ubuntu is most of the times better for
newcomers.

> That is not a criticism of Debian or a request for change. It is just
> information that may be useful for someone deciding between the two
> distributions if ease of installation is a priority. It just seems
> difficult to make such observations without evangelists getting
> defensive.

This is never going to change. There will always be extremists on both
sides. And I bet, next month when the same question will come up (and
it will come up) it will all start from the beginning. The Never Ending
Story :)

Andrei
(Albert Einstein)