Re: OT: Comparison of filesystems

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 13:19 -0400, Curt Howland wrote:

[snip]
> My personal opinion is that anything "up to date" (as opposed to, say,
> FAT12) will provide decent service for a desktop machine. I would add
> journaling, which is why I also use ext3, but with the caveat that
> ext3 is just an add-on to ext2. Performance demonstrates this.

Actually, ext3 is *not* an add-on to ext2.  They use the same on-
disk structure, but the drivers share little code.

ext3 might have started life as a patched ext2 driver, though.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"It's a great country, where anybody can grow up to be president
. . . except me."
Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ)