Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:55:00AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > For example, if the licensing restrictions on the downloadable firmware for
> > a particular network adapter prevent it from being included on the install
> > CD, then perhaps the install CD can be made to look for additional software
> > on a USB pen that can be used by the installer to provide license restricted
> > software. Or perhaps we can find a way to make it easier for people to
> > avoid buying hardware that relies on license restricted software in the
> > first place.
>
> IMHO, just as Joey Hess pointed out (in his missing post), there are
> lots of efforts going into this direction. Just install msttcorefonts
> and you'll know what I'm talking about. I just can't get easier than
> that. You apt-get the package and the install scripts will download all
> the font files and install them for you. You won't notice the
> difference unless you watch apt's output.

Ah yes, but the problem is - how do I apt-get the network adapter
firmware mentioned in the example above when
 a) the network doesn't work because it needs the firmware, and
 b) Debian is not installed yet, because the installer needs the network...

Again for those that missed it - I am entirely happy with the method for
installing license restricted packages using alternate repositories
after a Debian system has been successfully installed on the hardware...

My comments above (and the initial comments comparing Debian and Ubuntu)
were specifically addressing ease of getting an initial working system
installed.

Or have I misunderstood what you are saying in some way?

I suspect that there are more misunderstandings of what people are saying
than actual disagreements in this thread...

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com