Re: newbie gateway question

Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 16:47 +0100, Doofus wrote:
Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 15:51 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

Fernando Augusto Bender <fernando.bender@antiwindup.org> wrote:

Something I missed... do your Debian box has an ethernet port?
I believe your Cable Modem does have an ethernet port as well.

If it is so, your just connect them with an cross-over 10BaseT cable,
and you deploy your security measures, as well as monitoring and routing
issues.
Not cross-over cable. Or maybe it depends on cable modem? Mine works
with a patch (straight) cable.

Andrei
(Albert Einstein)
Well, formerly straight cables were used to connect DTE to DCE.

DCE-DCE or DTE-DTE shall be connected cross-over.

DCE - data communication devices, like switch, modems, routers.
DTE - data terminal devices: hosts.

I suspect they were discussing CAT-5 ethernet cabling Fernando, not RS232.

why do you say that, because of the DCE, DTE noums? They apply to any
cabling. It's something universal.

I just wondered that because the cable modem could be attached the
ethernet interface and not necessarilly to the USB port.

dce/dte terminology used to describe ethernet wiring? Well there you go, I hear of something new every day. Does rts/cts also feature? And now you've confused me even more (it's easily done ;-) by thowing USB ports into the mix...