Re: newbie gateway question

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 16:47 +0100, Doofus wrote:
> Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:

> >>Not cross-over cable. Or maybe it depends on cable modem? Mine works
> >>with a patch (straight) cable.
> >>
> >>Andrei
> >>--
> >>If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
> >>(Albert Einstein)
> >>

> >Well, formerly straight cables were used to connect DTE to DCE.
> >
> >DCE-DCE or DTE-DTE shall be connected cross-over.
> >
> >DCE - data communication devices, like switch, modems, routers.
> >DTE - data terminal devices: hosts.
> >

> I suspect they were discussing CAT-5 ethernet cabling Fernando, not RS232.

why do you say that, because of the DCE, DTE noums? They apply to any
cabling. It's something universal.

I just wondered that because the cable modem could be attached the
ethernet interface and not necessarilly to the USB port.

Ms. Eng. Fernando Augusto Bender
Pesquisador em Controle Automático

Use Linux: http://www.debian.org

Comer, beber e amar. O resto não vale um níquel.
Lord Byron