RE: newbie gateway question

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 21:44 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> Rather than "roll your own", you could use one of the purpose-built firewall/
> router Linux distributions.  (Such may also exist for (Free|Net|Open)BSD.)
> I've used both IpCop and Smoothwall; both support various kinds of WAN links,
> including USB modems:
>
>     http://www.ipcop.org/
>
>     http://smoothwall.org/

Endian Firewall http://www.efw.it/ is another one based on IP-COP (like
smoothwall).  It has a number of features that neither IP-COP or
Smoothwall has, like proxies for mail, sip, ftp (iirc), scanning for
virus/spyware on the web proxy, mailscanning, and a few others.  Most of
these are available as IP-COP addons, but the problem is, at least in my
experience, that most of these addons break when you run the IP-COP
updates.

http://www.closedbsd.org/
Based on OpenBSD - haven't tried it but it looks nice.

Hans