RE: newbie gateway question

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 13:20 +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 21:44 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> > Rather than "roll your own", you could use one of the purpose-built firewall/
> > router Linux distributions.  (Such may also exist for (Free|Net|Open)BSD.)
> > I've used both IpCop and Smoothwall; both support various kinds of WAN links,
> > including USB modems:
> >
> >     http://www.ipcop.org/
> >
> >     http://smoothwall.org/
>
> Endian Firewall http://www.efw.it/ is another one based on IP-COP (like
> smoothwall).  It has a number of features that neither IP-COP or
> Smoothwall has, like proxies for mail, sip, ftp (iirc), scanning for
> virus/spyware on the web proxy, mailscanning, and a few others.  Most of
> these are available as IP-COP addons, but the problem is, at least in my
> experience, that most of these addons break when you run the IP-COP
> updates.
>
> http://www.closedbsd.org/
> Based on OpenBSD - haven't tried it but it looks nice.
>
> Hans

Fellow,

Something I missed... do your Debian box has an ethernet port?
I believe your Cable Modem does have an ethernet port as well.

If it is so, your just connect them with an cross-over 10BaseT cable,
and you deploy your security measures, as well as monitoring and routing
issues.

Is it possible to do so?

I also recommend http://leaf.sourceforge.net/, linux embedded appliance
firewall.

I can tell you more, but I need to know if it will be usefull. :)

Carpe diem.
--
Ms. Eng. Fernando Augusto Bender
Pesquisador em Controle Automático

Use Linux: http://www.debian.org

Comer, beber e amar. O resto não vale um níquel.
Lord Byron