libc6 won't upgrade

Hi all

I recently tried to upgrade my box and I get the following error:

Retrieving bug reports... Done
(Reading database ... 149582 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6-5 (using .../libc6_2.3.6-7_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared oject file: No such file or directory
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 127
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared oject file: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.6-7_i386.deb (--unpack:
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 127
/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open sharedobject file: No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 127
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.6-7_i386.deb

I have already tried using dpkg -x / to extract the files to their correct locations and then I ran ldconfig, but this didn't work since I got errors when I ran any command such as "unable to open libcrypt.so.1." I am able to downgrade to libc6 2.3.6-5 or lower without problems. However any libc6 greater than that gives me this error. The files /etc/libdl-2.3.6.so and /etc/libdl.so.2 both exist and the 2nd is a symlink to the first. I don't know what the issue is and I'd appreciate it if anyone could help. Thanks in advance

Rohit