Re: three questions about debian

Doofus <doofus@bulldoghome.com> writes:
> How mature is wine these days? The last time I looked at it
> (admittedly a long time ago) it was still a windows 3.1 emulator (when
> 32 bit windows had long been released). It wasn't particularly stable
> either.

5 years ago wine was pretty flaky.  These days it appears to be pretty
nice.  It seems to run to run most modern windows software I've tried
with it (various 3rd part apps, nothing from MS) with no obvious
problems.

It even does internationalized software correctly: recently I used wine
to run some windows program I downloaded from a company's website, with
LANG=ja_JP, and all the UI stuff was in Japanese!

> I've never really seen the point. If windows is your thing, why
> not use windows?

People don't want to run windows apps because "windows is their thing",
they want to run them to do something.  E.g., if you buy a hardware
synthesizer these days, quite often it will come with windows software;
sometimes this software is even necessary for normal use of the
hardware.

I'm not going to install windows to run such apps, and even if I _did_
have a dual-boot system, what a fucking pain -- reboot the machine, just
to use a single app?!?!?

-Miles
--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'