Re: three questions about debian

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:56:27 +0100, Doofus wrote:

[...]

> How mature is wine these days? The last time I looked at it (admittedly
> a long time ago) it was still a windows 3.1 emulator (when 32 bit
> windows had long been released). It wasn't particularly stable either.
> I've never really seen the point. If windows is your thing, why not use
> windows?

Wine is pretty OK these days. It helped me a lot to avoid constant
rebooting during my transition phase from Windows to Linux.

> I'm not trying to bait anyone here. I'd be interested to read of what
> graphical windows software people out there are usefully running under a
> linux roof.

At present I have two applications left: I sometimes need Micrografx
Designer to access old drawings of mine, and Microcal Origin because
inconsiderate colleagues keep sending experimental data in its specific
format. Luckily both these programs run very well under wine.

--
Regards,
          Florian