Re: three questions about debian

On 4/22/06, Doofus <doofus@bulldoghome.com> wrote:
> Christopher Nelson wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 03:00:54PM -0700, Xplicit Language wrote:
> >

> >>also is
> >>anyone familiar with wine?
> >>

> >As a user.  What's your question?  If it's generally how to use it, 'wine
> ><windows binary name>'.  Not all windows programs work under wine, and
> >some require tinkering.
> >

> How mature is wine these days? The last time I looked at it (admittedly
> a long time ago) it was still a windows 3.1 emulator (when 32 bit
> windows had long been released). It wasn't particularly stable either.
> I've never really seen the point. If windows is your thing, why not use
> windows?
>
> I'm not trying to bait anyone here. I'd be interested to read of what
> graphical windows software people out there are usefully running under a
> linux roof.

Wine is getting pretty good. They went from alpha status to beta status
a while ago, and the current release is 0.9.12. The 0.9.X series has been
having a release every few weeks. It is definitely not win 3.1 oriented
anymore. It is more like win2k/win98 (but they are adding xp stuff as well).
The biggest advance is the addition of DirectX 8 and 9 (no need for Cediga).

Most of the apps on the top 10 platinum and gold lists are games
(C&C, WoW, Call of Duty), but non-games on the list include
Paint Shop Pro 4, Band in a Box 2005, Winamp 5 and Frontpage 2k2.
See http://appdb.winehq.org/ for the complete list.

I personally play Starcraft and I will probably try Civ 3 soon. I don't really
care about any windows productivity apps. Anyway, it is good enough
for my needs.

Cheers,
Kelly