Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> What do you need a graphical display for? If everything is properly set
> up, special characters will display just fine in text mode. For a few
> weeks I read mail using mutt, including -l10n-romanian, where special
> characters are used on regular basis and sometimes are a must. No
> problem reading that.

Exactly.  I could imagine native English speakers not to bother with
other than ASCII character encodings.  Because normally they only need
ASCII characters.  Others would use an encoding that covers their
language + ASCII.  If there are different encodings possible then the
software has to translate between them.

Matthias