Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 03:12:16PM +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:

> If you are using a graphical display, then UTF provides a good way to
> avoid the problem if your mail reading software can do the translation.
> But I don't think you can assume everyone on a public mailing list is
> going to have that.

So far, every place I have noticed I hae a choice, I've set my Linux
system to use UTF-8 as its standard font.  But I still get question
marks when I use mutt.  No doubt I'll find the reason someday.  There;s
probably yet another place to tell it about character sets.

My point is, that even with good intentions and a real attempt at
consistent follow-through, it's still not easy enough to set up a
reasonable character set.

-- hendrik