Re: motorola a780 & storage device

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 12:03:28PM -0700, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> I have a my motorola a780 connected to my debian etch/testing box.
> debian knows it's there.
>
> usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using address 16
> scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>   Vendor: Motorola  Model: A780 Phone        Rev:
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> USB Mass Storage device found at 16
>
> while a
>
> sudo tail /var/log/messages show
>
> Apr 13 11:56:50 riverside kernel: usb 3-2: USB disconnect, address 15
> Apr 13 11:56:51 riverside kernel: usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using address 16
> Apr 13 11:56:51 riverside kernel: scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> Apr 13 11:56:51 riverside kernel:   Vendor: Motorola  Model: A780 Phone        Rev:
> Apr 13 11:56:51 riverside kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> I see no way to mount the phone as a storage device. Or am I missing
> something?

Just saw this message in the archives. I don't know whether you got this
sorted, but I use moto4lin on my V3X. I think this should work for you
too. The version of moto4lin is broken though, I'm working on some
patches when I have time.

You first need to modprobe pl2303 which will let you talk to the phone
then run moto4lin as root. In my device configuration I have
/dev/ttyACM0 as my ACM Device. You then need the AT Vendor ID from the
phone. Run lsusb after you plug it in, and make a note of the code that
says xxxx:xxxx, mine is 22b8:3002. Type that into the preferences box
and then hit Switch to P2K. You should then get a different product ID,
usually the (AT Product ID) - 1.

If you need more info let me know. Oh yeah, the reason moto4lin is
broken is that the preferences are not saved correctly because of the
way QSettings works, and it only writes the preferences when the object
is destroyed, so QSettings should be created on the stack, which it
isn't. And if you're not a coder, what that means is to edit your
preferences, edit ~/.qt/moto4linrc, the preferences box doesn't work
reliably.

Hope that helps,

Metrics

P.S. Sorry for the direct reply, Rodney.